Monday 30 April 2012

Reading Reflection #8

Book: The Lovely Bones
Author: Alice Sebold
Pages Read: 0 - 95


This book was recommended by my English teacher at the beginning of this semester, therefore helping me decide this was the next book I would read. I have already seen the motion picture and from where I am in the story there isn't much difference except more detail. This is a common difference between a book and its movie. The writing style is unique, because it's being told by a fourteen year old girl, Susie, who was murdered in the 70's, who now watches over her friends, family, murderer, and neighbours from heaven. Before, Susie was murdered she was raped and that seen made me cringe. On page 14, Susie expresses, "I felt huge and bloated. I felt like a sea in which he stood and pissed and shat. I felt the corners of my body were turning in on themselves and out, like in cat's cradle, which I played with Lindsey just to make her happy. He started working himself over me." With that much detail you get into the feelings of the character if you wanted to or not. Another thing that is unique in this book is that as a reader we know who the murderer is and his movements after Susie's murder, because Susie watches him from heaven. I am enjoying this book so far, because stories involving murders always intrigue me. Other books I have read that involve murders are The Pretty Little Liars series, The Private series, and The Privileged series. I cannot predict anything, because I have seen the movie, which I wish had waited to see after I had read the book. Oh well, I hope I get more detail from the book than the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment