Wednesday 29 February 2012

Reading Reflection #2


As I get farther into A Million Little Pieces some of my questions are getting answered. Last reading reflection I finished my response by saying “I am still in the dark about how James became to be a drug addict and alcoholic.” Now I know how old he was when he started all of his addictions and how his addictions became greater year after year. For example, “started stealing sips from drinks at seven” (page 94- paragraph 3) and after that his drinking progressively got worse “Twenty-two. Accelerated alcohol abuse, accelerated crack abuse.” (Page 95- paragraph 1)

"Oh My Gosh" Moment
As I continued reading I had my first “OH MY GOSH” moment… Have you ever been an excuse for a friend to go on a date with someone else? I definitely have been that excuse, where my friends go on a date with a boy, but their parents think they are with me. In the book, James shared this memory, where his only friend asked him to be her alibi so she could go on a date with a high school boy. The next day James finds out that his friend was killed when a train hit the date’s car. That memory frightened me because James was blamed and was left with inner guilt. If anything happened to my friend when I was there alibi I would be flooded with guilt! That part in the story scared me, because I made a text to self-connection way to easily.

I still have no idea who this mystery lover is!? James also keeps saying that he’s planning on leaving the facility. My prediction is he will stay till he stops vomiting every day and does not have the urge to continue substance abuse.

2 comments:

  1. Honesty is key to everything! Stay true to yourself (and your friends). Being a make-believe alibi is dishonest and another form of lying...
    Glad you "saw the light"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is your opinion of the writing style of this book? What are some of the unique techniques that Frey uses? What are some of the benefits and drawbacks of this writing style?

    ReplyDelete